Original Recipe is from "The gift of Southern cooking" by Edna Lewis and Scott Peacock.
Why I love this recipe?
There is no need to keep opening the oven and check the chicken to see if it is done!
This recipe is absolutely fool proof!
1. Chicken: 1.5 kg
2. Butter : 4 tbl spn( unsalted)
3. salt :1 1/2 t spn
4. pepper:1 teaspoon
5.thyme :3/4 t spn
5.onion :1 small
6.lemon : 1
7.water :1/2 cup
1. Preheat oven to 425°F
2. Rinse and pat dry the chicken.
3. mix ingredients 2 to 5 well and coat the chicken well
4. Quarter the lemon and push it in the cavity.
5. Truss the chicken with twine, making sure the wings are tucked in well
6. Dice the onion
7.Place the onion and the water in the bottom of the roasting pan.
8. place the chicken on the wire rack.
9. Roast in the middle of the oven for 40 minutes without opening the lid!
10. After 40 minutes, remove the roasting pan from the oven, pour off the fat and juices from the pan in to a small bowl.
11. Return the pan to the oven for another 20 minutes.
The chicken is done when the internal temperature (thigh or the breast) reaches 165°F .
I do not serve the sauce because of the high fat content. But if you wish to, you can boil the juices that you drained from the pan earlier along with the fat in the roasting pan for a few minutes till it thickens and pour it over the meat when you are serving it.